Thursday, March 11, 2010

Day Three: Motives

Re-read the passage on the bottom of pg 37 to the top of pg 38, where Lord Tony discusses why they take such risks to rescue french nobles they hardly know. Why do you think  his answer is so upsetting to the Comtesse de Tournay? Do you think that his reasons are the same reasons which motivate the Scarlet Pimpernel? Explain your answer. What do the motives imply about the person and their character?

16 comments:

  1. I think she is so upset because i think she is afraid for him. I think it is the same reason because to me their both dare devils looking for adventure. The motives tells if they care about the French Revolution or not. It also tells if they are to busy to care or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reasons that the Scarlet Pimpernel saves the aristocrats is because that he doesn’t want those people to die but not for the fun of it. What that tells about person is that they love adrenalin and the thrill of the chase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that his answer is upsetting to the Comtesse de Tournay because only for sport is not a very good reason. The Comtesse de Tournay thought that he must have a better, nobler reason. I do not think that his reasons are the same reason which motivates the Scarlet Pimpernel because Lord Antony said that HE loves the sport but he didn’t say that they ALL loved the sport. I also think that the Scarlet Pimpernel is motivated by something else because I don’t think that that is a very good reason but I may be wrong. I think one of the reasons that the Scarlet Pimpernel does what he does is that he might have some friends that are aristos in France, so he might have felt motivated to help. I think that the motives imply that Lord Antony really doesn’t care about the French aristos because he only does it for the fun of it. To me that says a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Lord Tony's answer was upsetting because no one knows what to do. Yes, if the Scarlet Pimpernel is almost risking his self to do such things then I think that is the reason.The people in the group of the Scarlet Pimpernel go against what other people think. So they won't get caught.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is upseting because she is afraid of him but Lord Tony makes fun of him. I think that the Scarlet Pimpernail is a good guy because of what he is doing and Sir Tony says what he is doing is dumb. That is like telling Superman to not save the town. Even if he is risking his life it is a good thing not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think his answer is so upsetting to the Comtesse because the answer for sport Madame for sport, is not to reassuring. I don’t think his reasons are the same that motivate the Scarlet Pimpernel because I don’t think he would be risking his life for just a sport. I think that the motivations of Lord Tony mean that he really doesn’t care too much, and the motivations of the scarlet pimpernel make him the exact opposite, he seems to care so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it makes the Comtesse De Tournay sad because she thought he was doing it because they do not deserve to die not for sport. I think the Scarlet Pimpernel does it because they did nothing bad they are only related to people who have done wrong. I think this makes Lord Tony a person who is less caring and wants more thrills and chills in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is so upsetting to the Comtesse de Tournay because she thinks they are risking their own lives for just a sport. The Comtesse do Tournay thought they would be a more noble reason than this. I think Lord Tony was saying that he liked the sport. I don't think he was saying the Scarlet Pimpernel or anyone else thought of it as a sport. I think the Scarlet Pimpernel does it for a more noble reason than Lord Tony. I think the Scarlet Pimpernel saves aristos is probably because he thinks that aristos are the innocent ones. Lord Tony does it for the fun of it. I think this says tons about Lord Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is so upsetting to the Comtesse de Tournay because they were risking their lives for something that didn’t mean much to them. I think Lord Anthony liked Scarlet Pimpernel’s game too. I also think he wants to do something like Scarlet and do something brave and daring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think they do it because they see that the rich people did not do anything wrong and are trying to make shear that they are not killed for it. I think they think it is upsetting because they did nothing to deserve the risk of getting killed for people they do not even know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it’s upsetting to Comtesse de Tournay because she feels that it is a risk where they could die over such a small thing and there should be something more to it like a true reason. In my opinion I don’t think that the Scarlet Pimpernel thought of it as a sport, I think he thought of it as just something to do. I don’t know if there is any real motivation. –Jayna <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Re-read the passage on the bottom of pg 37 to the top of pg 38, where Lord Tony discusses why they take such risks to rescue French nobles they hardly know. Why do you think his answer is so upsetting to the Comtesse de Tournay? Do you think that his reasons are the same reasons which motivate the Scarlet Pimpernel? Explain your answer. What do the motives imply about the person and their character?
    I think that his answer is so upsetting to the Comtesse de Toumay because he doesn’t want anybody with nobility to escape from getting prosecuted under the head chopper thing and the Comtesse de Toumay doesn’t really care about anybody else and he doesn’t really care about there feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that Lord Tony’s reply upset the Comtesse de Tournay because she thought that they should have a more…better reason other than sport. I think this because they’re just risking their lives practically for the fun of it. No, I don’t think that his reason is the same as the SP because he didn’t necessarily say that all of them like it because of the sport. Since Tony’s motive is sport I think that he is a more competitive guy and that he likes to be in close situations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that Comtesse de Tournay is upset because she didn’t get the answer that she wanted and she probably doesn’t want them to die. I think that they are different reasons for the scarlet pimpernel because he is just a good person and is helping people because he knows that is the right thing to do and he doesn’t want the French to kill themselves. The scarlet pimpernel is probably a very good person who just wants to help people because he is probably very rich and has nothing to do so he saves people.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Comtesse de Toumay asks why he risks his lives to try and save the people of France and spend all your money and risk your lives, he says because in his country it is a sport, so I think that is what upsets Comtesse de Toumay because she thinks that he doesn’t care. I do not think these are the same reasons as the Scarlet Pimpernel I think he does it so that the absolute Monarchy doesn’t end in France and make the other countries unstable about the Monarchy. I think the motives of Lord Antony of how he says it’s a sport I don’t really think he cares much about it, but Scarlet Pimpernel’s motives are to save the Monarchy so I think he cares more about saving people then Lord Antony.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Comtesse do Tournay is so upset because these people are risking their own lives for a sport and she is afraid for them and doesn't want them to be killed. No, I don't think they are doing it for the same reason because Lord Tony does it for the run and for the daring sport and the Scarlet Pimpernel does it because he wants to save innocent people from dying. Lord Tony doesn’t really care about the French aristos but the Scarlet Pimpernel does. ~Sophie

    ReplyDelete