A common theme in this novel is the idea that things are not always what they seem. It is certainly true with Percy in his life, as the realm of the gods is revealed to him in the 21st century. Auntie Em / Medusa was one of those situations for Percy. Do you think this idea has had a positive or negative impact on Percy's life as a whole? Explain.
What is your experience with that saying in your personal world? At school, with your friends / family or otherwise? Has this idea that things are not always what they seem had a positive or negative impact on your life? Explain.
I think this had a positive impact on his whole life, because he is a half-blood so that would probably change his whole life. I can’t really think of an experience like that.
ReplyDeleteI think it has a good and bad impact on Percy. I think it has a good because he’ll know that he has a father and knowing stuff about monsters and gods might save his life. It might be bad though because he might think himself better then the gods and get himself killed. I don’t think it has negative or positive it is just in the middle because I don’t usally have that feeling that things aren’t really how they are.
ReplyDeleteI think that Auntie Em/Medusa has made a positive impact on Percy because he had to fight her and it was like a practice for Percy. Now when he has to fight bigger monsters he will be ready. Sometimes at school people act like someone they are not. They don’t act like themselves and pretend to be someone they are not. It has had a negative impact on my life because I don’t know the real person and people will judge them on what they know even if they don’t know the truth.-Allie Brown:)
ReplyDeleteI think it is positive because it made him believe that monsters do exist everywhere, and it helps him feel better about who he picked to go with him on the quest. It helped him believe monsters do exist everywhere. It probably made him feel better about who he picked because at first he chose them as a friend not knowing if they can fight or not, but they can and it shows him that he doesn’t always have to protect them.
ReplyDeleteBy shea
That encounter with aunt m or medusa was a good impact because it would make him feel good about himself. I do not have a personal connection to this.
ReplyDeleteI think that Percy’s experience with Medusa could have a positive impact, because from this quest he learns about what really is out there in the world for half-bloods such as him. My experience with things are not always as they seem with things such as people and their personalities and with some of my friends. This saying has a positive impact because it teaches you to not judge a book by its cover.
ReplyDeleteI think it has a negative impact for Percy. He is not ready and always feels so confused. Everything seems unsafe around him and it doesn’t seem like the environment to get a positive impact. I am in a world of reality. Some things seem deceptive but that’s kind of me to blame too. I am a very gullible person in case you haven’t noticed. Sometimes kindness is fake and other times it’s as solemn can be. For me, I think that the saying “things are not always as they seem” is a good thing. I think it prepares me for the worst.
ReplyDeleteI think it is a negative impact because if you are a demigod you could get seriously hurt and nobody would know. Another reason is if you tell people they will just think you’re crazy and if mortals see you they will either think you are a weirdo or tell somebody and have to go to therapy because people think the person that saw you is are crazy when you know the truth and have to lie about it. Another reason is that you have to lie about your father and your life and it is kind of sad that you can’t tell or else your father, Posidon, will get very angry and maybe do a tsunami or a hurricane. An experience in my world is when I had to lie to a girl when Noor was really coming over and we said, “see you later,” we meant we will see you in about 30 min., and the girl was in awe about what was happening between us.
ReplyDeleteI think it had a positive impact on his life because he is a half blood so that would change his whole life. I can’t really think of an experience like that.
ReplyDeleteI think that it has set a positive impact on Percy's life. Sense Percy is a demigod he should get some experience on fighting monsters because it’s like what he’s going to be doing for the rest of his life, and fighting Medusa was like showing how hard it really is to fight a monster. I also think that Percy knowing about the gods is a good impact to because his dad is one and now Percy knows that his dad is alive. So he must be really happy.
ReplyDeleteI think it has a positive and negative impact on Percy. It’s a negative impact because out of no were a flying bird comes and attacks him. It’s a positive impact because he learns how to push himself and explore things he didn’t think he could do. I don’t think Percy could see what was about to come. My experience has been great I have wonderful friends. It was not what it seemed it was better which is what I think Percy thinks sometimes too.
ReplyDeleteI do not think that seeing Medusa caused a positive impact on Percy, because no child should have to go through that kind of trouble. I think that this whole book has caused a positive impact on me because people are always telling me that things are not always what they seem. I never really cared when anyone said that, but when I saw what happened when Percy didn’t think things through, now I know what they were trying to tell me.
ReplyDeleteI don't think that Medusa made a positive impact on Percy's life. She tried to turn him into a statue, and he'll probably never forget it. That is also the case with Grover's Uncle. In my life, an example of this is if I saw a dirty cup sitting on the table. On the outside, it looks clean, but if you look on the inside, it's full of dirty liquid. This may also be the case with an unfinished homework assignment that is folded in half. It looks like you did it from the outside, because it is folded in half, but on the inside you find that it is blank.
ReplyDeleteZoe and 7d Lit Circle
This is tim on jalens account. I think that this idea had a positive impact because he finally knew who he really was.It has been a positive impact on me because i let time tell what something is what is and is not
ReplyDeleteI think it is both, a positive and negative impact on Percy. You're probably wondering why both? It's a positive impact because now he knows what he is up for and what's going to be happening next. But, it's a bad impact because it was probably really scary and he could of gotten seriously hurt or frozen as a rock..I have had an experience like that at school when people try to be someone they're not just to be in a group they want to be in. So those people are not what they seem to be. They nicest person could be doing that and trying to be popular and mean but someone would never know how nice they actually are.
ReplyDelete~Sophie
I think that when Percy fought Medusa and Aunty M it gave him a positive impact, because fighting a monster and defeating a monster gives lots of practice for him and helps his own self-esteem. My own experiences are not as adventures as Percy’s, but when I had my friends with me I felt better and it gave me a very positive impact.
ReplyDeleteI think that Medusa made Percy realize that everything is not what it seems because she was being really nice to them and then she attacked them. This idea has had a NEGATIVE impact because I like to know who people really are and I don't like to be tricked.
ReplyDeleteI think that Percy fighting any monster is a negative impact because maybe he might see something that scars him for life or something any other thing like that. It might remind him of his mother and how he killed the Minotaur, maybe how he feels about his father Poseidon that effect his fighting and get him injured or seriously killed. Sometimes my friends and rarely family members will pretend something or someone they're not. Even some famous people do that just to cover themselves for whatever they are hiding from.
ReplyDeleteI think that it has had a negative impact because a lot of things that he thought would be good they have turned out really bad. This has had a good impact on my life because sometimes it thought that something would be bad but it would end up turning out good.
ReplyDelete