Chiron makes this statement:
"Mist is a powerful thing, Percy... read The Illiad. It's full of references to the stuff. Whenever divine or monstrous elements mix with the mortal world, they generate Mist, which obscures the vision of humans. You will see things as they are, but humans will interpret things quite differently. Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality."
Interesting point, I think. I love how this author uses real human tendencies to help develop his storyline to make it more interesting and realistic. What has your experience with the Mist been? Have you ever remembered something way differently than a person who was right there with you? Why do you think that happens? Describe your experiences with this Mist to which he refers. Where have we discussed Mist before this year? How was that Mist similar or different from the Mist Chiron is describing? Explain.
I have thought i have seen something like a dog when i really didn't. Yes and because we all have a different way of comprehending things in a different way. I do not remember anything about the mist this year before this book.
ReplyDeleteWhen he fought Mrs.Dotts .All the people around him saw a teacher and a student not a battle with a fury. The same thing happens in Watership Down when Fiver had a vision. The mist that Fiver thought his vision was deception. The mist that Chiron was talking about is hiding the truth.
ReplyDeleteThe mist hides what is really going on to the mortal eyes. When Percy was getting attacked the mortals could be seeing Percy beating them up.
ReplyDeleteWhen my brother and I have fights we like most siblings do at the end we try to explain ourselves we usually have different stories. I think possibly the mist was used right after Percy killed "Mrs.Dodds". I also remember in Wathership Down when Fiver had a vision and said the mist was hiding something.
ReplyDeleteWell, I think of mist as blocking a way so you can’t see what’s really in front of you. Last year, my fifth grade class went to Topeka. We went all the way to the top dome, to the railing outside. There was a mist and I couldn’t see anything that was more than a foot away from me. When my friend was with me at Topeka, she stared acting loopy but I think it was all the soda she drank. The mist Chiron was talking about is a mist that makes the mortals forget things or make it seem what is closes to reality. In Hatchet it explained how he saw mist around the pilots head. The purpose of the Mist Chiron is talking about isn’t real. But the mist that is real is just fog.
ReplyDeleteThe mist is blocking your sight. One day when I was going to school and saw a mist that I couldn't see 1 foot in. No, I never saw something different than the person next to me. I think this happens because someone is really tired. The mist is like something that doesn't let mortals see a monster, something closest to the man's life. We talked about it with watership down and how the rabbits couldn't read the sign. Well the mist is just something hard to see through. The mist Chiron talks about is something that changes a mortals vision. Like if someone was right in front of a monster, it would look closes to human as it can.
ReplyDeleteI think when your in mist your a little more cautious. At my dads house I told my sister that I saw something really cool and she needed to take a picture of it. I hid in the grass and told her to come forward and I jumped out at her she was so scared she like peed her pants it was hilarious. The mist Chiron is talking about it makes humans forget every thing they saw.
ReplyDeleteMy experience with the mist is that I think I see weird things when they are really not there. I have thought differently than someone else before. They thought that there were two cats I thought there was only one. I think this happens because we have a different way of seeing things. The mist Chiron is talking about is the one that makes mortals think there are not monsters in the world. We have talked about the mist in Hatchet. In Hatchet it was a fog in the forest, in The Lightning Thief is a fictional mist that hides monsters from mortals.
ReplyDeleteMy experience with the mist was intersecting. When I was in summer camp we went hiking we saw mist all over and my camp mates said it was scary but my counselor said it is a sight to behold. Some people think it is very dangerous because you might lose your way or get hurt and my counselor think that the mist comes once in a while and you might never see this sight again. (The mist describes that part of the mortal and immortal world come to together and create mist which humans can see. People see the same things but humans see it differently. Very surprising those humans will go to fit things into their sight of reality.) We have disused the mist in October or November when we were talking about Watership Down. The mist Chiron was talking about is hiding the truth. The mist that is real is just fog.
ReplyDeleteThis is by Jayna I just couldn't find that email you send me for the blog =[. Ok well. Being in the mist would make you more cautious because if you couldn't see something as in you could be running and not see whats ahead of you... You could run into a tree, or a car ect. Also i have seen things differently from others or thought it happened differently than others. - Jayna Hubbard ;)
ReplyDeleteMy experience with the mist was when I was in Maine and I woke up and I saw a ton of mist. I barely could see. Yes I have remembered something way different than the person right next to me. The experience was good. The mist is supposed to hide to half-blooded people from the mortals. The mist is similar.
ReplyDeleteThe mist is trying to block your sight so that you can't see what happens with the gods. Like if they have a sword, the mist makes it look like it is a gun of something like that. Because if humans saw someone with a sword, they would think that is really weird. My only experience with the mist is when I am fighting with my brothers or someone at school. We almost always have a different view of things. The first mist appearance was after Percy fought Mrs. Dodds. There really was a Mrs. Dodds, but the mist covered up the fact that she just vanished. The mist made almost all of the students think that there was never a Mrs. Dodds.
ReplyDeleteThe mist makes mythological things look normal to humans.Sometimes my sister says I did something and I don’t remember doing that at all. Or like when I was sick once my sister said I was mumbling in my sleep.
ReplyDelete~Leen
The mist blocks many things for the humans. Percy's first expericence with the mist was when he was when he fought Mrs.Dodds it covered her when she disappered. One time I was waiting for my father to come out and play tennis with me and i saw just his racket flowting and got scared and screamed. This was because of the mist infront of me. I have never refered to things diffrently from a person next me (at least I don't think I have).
ReplyDeleteShreeya
I think the mist is awesome. I wish I was a Half-Blood so I could create it. I have had tons of experiences with mist. Once I thought I saw someone walking down the side of the road and when we drove by but nothing was their. Another time I was walking in a forest just for a little walk, and I felt like someone was walking behind me an following me when I heard a tree branch snap, and when I turned around I saw a fleeing figure going faster than any normal human. Yes I have remembered seeing something no one else has that was right beside me. I think this happens because some people might have illusions that might be real, or are just plain tricks in the light.
ReplyDeleteJacob Newlin 7th Hour
I'm writing for Nick Farha he is absent on 1-28-10
I think mist is something that keeps you from seeing the truth. My experience with mist is when I fight with my siblings. We can fight on things that we probably won’t remember the next day. When we go to explain ourselves or apologize we each have a different point of view. In my case I think this happens because we all believe ourselves or even wrap our mind around a lie so it sounds better. We discussed mist during Watership Down when Fiver has a vision about the hills and when they ask what lays ahead Fiver replies it’s hidden in the mist. I think the mist Chiron was talking about was sort of a physical mist where they bestow it upon the people. This mist is the kind where you are confused or baffled on what is down the road for you. They are in a way alike, but again you can take different meanings. Ha! This is kind of like mist trying to explain! It is hard to really interpret the meaning.
ReplyDeleteonce in the mist I was playing with my dogs but then it looked like my cat but it was my dogs and then they maimed me. Ok, mine is short but thats all ok.
ReplyDelete