Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Day Nine: In Conclusion
This is the time in a novel when you have to walk away and have some idea about your "take away" from a story. As we wrap up the first book in the Percy Jackson Series, I am curious about the long term impact the novel has had on you personally. What is the part of the story that you think you will always remember? Why? For example, describe how this part touched you emotionally (mad, sad, happy, shocked, disturbed, etc...) made you laugh because you could relate a personal connection, or taught or reinforced a life lesson you think is important. This is your chance to show me what you have learned... give me your 30 second elevator speech!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Something that I will always remember from this story is all of the mythological references. All of these references helped me remember mythology more because I remember what story was behind it because the author made it like a realistic story. This really made me happy because I think I will actually be able to remember all of mythology for a very long time.
ReplyDeleteI am probably going to remember Percy because he was so brave going to the underworld. To get the bolt and save his mom i think that was brave of Percy and to kill all of the Monsters that was vary brave.
ReplyDeleteI was scared when Luke almost killed Percy with a scorpion. It surprised me that it would be him going on Kronos’s side. He seems to be always the person that you would least expect doing something bad. Luke turned on him. Friends betray on you sometimes. It has probably happened to everyone. It has happened to me once before.
ReplyDeleteI think I will remember when Mrs. Dodds turned into the fury and attempted to kill Percy, because to me it was shocking and surprising to read that Mrs. Dodds wasn’t a teacher after all. My personal connection is when me and my Mom were in a store and I was looking at something and when I turned around my Mom was gone, at that moment for me was shocking and surprising that I was lost without a Mom, but I finally found her.
ReplyDeleteAt times in the book I was shocked because some of the things that appeared to be shown in Greek mythology I didn't see. Like Medusa I didn't even know she was part of it like she was married to Poseidon. I had text to text because satyrs were to half man half goat in the Narnia series.
ReplyDeleteWhat I will always remember from this book is from the beginning, when Mrs. Dodds turned into a fury and was about to kill Percy. I was very surprised at that moment she wasn’t an actual teacher, she was a mythological character. My personal connection is when I was little, at the time when I still thought there was a real tooth fairy; I saw my dad walk in my room and checked under my pillow. Then I thought that my dad was the tooth fairy who went to everybody’s houses to give them money and take the teeth.
ReplyDeleteWhen Percy went to Camp Half Blood and met all these really important people (Dionysus, Chiron, etc.) This reminds me of when I had gone to Iran and met one of Iran’s number one actors and she acted like a normal person that you see every day. It made me really surprised she was a lot different than how I expected I was sort of like Percy when he met the gods, goddesses, and famous monsters. For example when he sees Dionysus he sees that he is wearing a Hawaiian shirt and playing a Poker like game. It also shows things are not always the way they seem.
ReplyDeleteI will always remember the part in the story when Medusa disguised herself as a mortal that owned a store, then when Percy and his friends went in she acted like their waitress. When the time was right she took off her disguise and tried to turn them into stone. At the end the Kids cut Medusa’s head off and sent it to Mt. Olympus.
ReplyDeleteThis reminded me off Halloween because everybody dresses up as scary monsters, in this Medusa dresses up as a normal person.
The thing that I will remember the most about the story is finding the mythological reference because it was a challenge because i am not very good at Mythology and i couldn't remember a lot of the of the stuff. Another thing that I will remember about this story is that is was a good book and I am planing to read the hole series.
ReplyDeleteI will remember Percy because he was so brave going to the underworld. To get the bolt and save his mom I think that was brave of Percy to kill all the monsters that attacked him instead of running away.
ReplyDeleteThis book was really exciting! It was really fun to see how the gods would be in modern times. A part in this story that I really liked was the part where Annabeth played ball with Cerberus. Before, I didn’t really think of him being the kind of dog who liked to play. But after I read that chapter I realized that he is probably like most dogs and likes to play and have fun. After reading that, I also thought that he was probably lonely because nobody played with him and everybody was scared of him and ignored him. I would definitely recommend this book for someone who was looking for a book to read.
ReplyDeleteI will always remember the part when he kills the Minotaur. Because when he loses his mom its really big; it made me think about if I lost my mom how would the rest of my life go on. And mostly the reason he excepted the quest is to somehow save his mom. But in the end he gets his mom back any way. At the end of the book I was really shocked because Luke was actually working with Cronus the whole time. The Lightning Thief a book that has the Olympian gods in it. But is about a kid finding out who he really is; who his father truly is. And is going to effect the outcome of the world HUGELY. He gets offered a quest to help stop his father and Zeus from fighting and starting a war between the Gods.
ReplyDeleteI will always remember Percy in the book when he found out he was the son of Poseidon at the end of the capture the flag game. I will remember this because it was really shocking, and because it was just a couple nights after he came to the camp that he figured this out. He handled it really well, even if he wasn’t supposed to be born because of the treaty that Hades, Zeus, and Poseidon (The big Three) made that they could not have any children after WW II, and because not everybody’s father is one of the most well-known gods. That is what I will always remember in the book “The Lightning Thief”.
ReplyDeleteOne part in the book that touched me was when she made blue jelly beans because I have had them before and I like them. I thought it was cool when they could choose what they want to drink magically.
ReplyDeleteI think this book was very adventurous, exciting, and helpful (for Greek Mythology references) book. A part I would remember would be the part with Annabeth and Cerberus. This is because Annabeth became friends with Cerberus (from the start it was only so she could distract him) and it was very hard for her to leave him. I have had a connection with this when my friend had to leave me to move. This book has its laughs and its serious moments, but when the funny parts come there would be no way to stop me from laughing. This book has helped me remember the names of the Gods and what they can do such as Poseidon is the lord of the sea. This book has a little bit of a mystery of who stole Zeus’s lightning bolt. So far this book is very interesting.
ReplyDeleteshreeya
The part in the book that I will always remember is when Percy has the strength not to look at Medusa. I think that it would be a big strugle not to look at Meduasa's head even if you were looking at it in a reflective glass-ball. It was huge that he didn't look at Medusa because then he would be stone and then there would be a HUGE chain reaction, and then Thalia wouldn't come back to life and then the they wouldn't have met Bianca and Nico, then there would be no Prophecy for a long time.
ReplyDeleteI will remember when Percy talked about how he thought his dad didn’t care about him and was just using him. I will remember this because I felt like this for a while after my parents got divorced. It was sad because I knew how hard it was for Percy because he had never met his dad and didn’t know whether to trust him or not. I have learned that whatever is going on in your life can be fixed if you try and make the best out of it.-Allie B
ReplyDeleteThe part when Percy had the master lightning bolt the whole time. I was completely shocked I thought that Hades. But now there is one day to get back to Olympus and return the master lightning bolt. I had something that I was looking for the whole time and now I had to get it back to the owner before I take the blame.
ReplyDeleteI will always remember when Percy and Annabeth got trapped by the automaton spiders, Annabeth was extremely scared, and they went on Olympus Live. I will remember that moment because of when my friend who was scared of spiders too was in her room and a spider was there and she had to ask me to kill it for her because she was to afraid to touch it.
ReplyDeleteI think I will always remember when Percy had found out Grover was a satyr. It was a big surprise because Grover was his only friend at that time. It shocked me. I first didn’t know if it was true.
ReplyDeleteThis is Allie L
The part which I think I will always remember is Percy himself. He was very smart and brave. This got me to be determined to get braver and smarter. He also taught me that don't let someone make me very mad or sad. Fight it and don't punch that person. Basically, don't let my emotions get to me too much.
ReplyDeleteWhen reading The Lightning Thief, It really touched me to see how far Percy went just to keep his mother from her death. Seeing this was mostly towards the end. Percy was willing to go to the Underworld to confront Hades. Though his mission was to go retrieve Zeus’ lightning bolt, you can tell he really went down there to find his mother. In the end, Percy had to leave his mother behind to save his friends. In the beginning of the book, Chiron said that God was above the gods and I think somewhere inside Percy knew that God said it was his mother’s time to go. I think we can all learn from this by trying to remember that God has a time for everything and what God wants will happen, even if it takes and Oracle to tell us that.
ReplyDeleteI think the book was really exciting, and action packed. I will always remember when Percy was first told he was a demigod. I remember this by how shocked he was. I once felt something close to what he felt; when I had just found out I was moving to Kansas, I was so shocked and sad to leave all my friends. When Percy had just found out he was a demigod, I felt that I almost wanted to be like him. I diffidently recommend this book to all who like action. This is a book about a boy who finds out he is half god. He goes threw a lot challenges trying to be like a real demigod.
ReplyDeleteI will always remember when Ares feed them and tricked them in two/2 ways. 1 way is when Ares said he forgot his armor at a beach and Annabeth, Grover, and Percy had to go get it for him; he forgot it when he was on a date with Aphrodite; and Aphrodite was married to Hephaestus at the time. So they went to the beach because Ares promised to tell them about Percy’s mom. When they went to the beach it was closing time so they had to climb over the fence; everybody but Grover because of his winged shoes. When they got there cupids started shooting them, spider robots were attacking, and they were going to be on the gods and goddesses T.V. show because Hephaestus was trying to catch Aphrodite cheating on him.
ReplyDeleteThe other time was when he gave them the bag and took them to the Underworld but they didn’t feel the heaviness of the lightning bolt because Ares put special software in it so he would only feel it when he was in the Underworld. Percy got really mad.
I think that I will always remember the part when Annabeth and Grover were telling Percy to use the pearls on him and the other person. Annabeth and Grover had both done something to help Percy get through his quest, yet they were still telling him to use the pearls on him, his mom, and the other person. They all deserved to get out of the Underworld, but Annabeth and Grover were willing enough to help Percy. In this book I learned to be brave and trustworthy. Annabeth, Grover, And Percy all had a time in the book were they showed bravery and trust.
ReplyDeleteI was very shocked when Annabeth told Percy and Grover that she ran away from home because she didn’t feel wanted. I think I will always remember this because I have heard so many stories of my parent’s friends trying to run away but then always coming back. In the story it is different though because Annabeth doesn’t go back, she runs to Half-Blood Hill.
ReplyDeleteI think that the person that I’d remember would be Percy in this book. Because Percy was sent out on the quest to retrieve the Master Lighting Bolt and while doing this he made friends. He was also able to show that Athena could work with Poseidon. It also reminds me of when I was against some of these people from another school. Then one day I was partnered up with one of them for a race. We had to work together to accomplish something and win.
ReplyDeleteIn that part i will most definately remember Percy for his remarkable attitude through the whole book, How even if he gave up he tryed again. Like when he tryed to save his mother because he didn't want her to die I know I wouldn’t want my mom to die and I would try to save her to, But for himn it was awesum. I will remeber this book because there were many exciting parts that had to do with Mythilogical references, and it helped me learn.
ReplyDeleteWhen Percey found out that Poisiden was his dad I felt happy, and why I will rember this is because he has not seen his dad for a long time. A personal conection I have of this is when I found out I was joing to have a baby cousion.
ReplyDeleteThe part I will remember most in the book is when Percy fights Ares. I will remember that part the most because Percy really shows Ares that he can fight anyone including the war god. This part made me feel like really good because it shows that you can do anything if you try which is like on a poster I have in my house that has a quote from Muhammad Ali “ Impossible is nothing” I love that quote. The thing I liked most about The Lightning Thief was that you can do anything if you try and that you don’t have to give into anyone or anything.
ReplyDeleteIn the Lightning Thief, the part in the book that touched me the most was when Percy figured out why his mother married Smelly Gabe. It was because Gabe had a very strong human smell that rubbed off onto Percy so he was protected from the monsters, because they couldn't smell his actual scent because Gabe's scent was on him. So when Percy realized she married a horrible man just to protect him that really touched me. It was so nice.
ReplyDeleteThis book is by far my most favorite book we have read this year! I have really enjoyed following Percy through his journey. I actually feel like I am right there with him. That is what makes this one of my favorite books. The part that really stood out to me was when Percy fought Ares. It surprised me that Percy was brave enough to fight the God of War. I was shocked, but to my surprise Percy was so courageous. I would have given Percy an award right then and there. I was so impressed! When I really thought about it I complied a life lesson to this. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” Percy believed in himself that really stood out to me. In my eyes Percy is a hero. I will never forget the fight between Percy and Ares!
ReplyDeleteI think the part in the story that I will always remember is when he had to fight Ares because he beat the god of war and that is pretty impressive in my opinion. It made me feel shocked that he actually beat him because I thought he was going to get pulverized. It taught me that if you believe in yourself you can do anything you want to do.
ReplyDeleteI loved the first book! I will want to go and read the rest of the series. I had two favorite parts. The first one was the chapter when he went to the underworld. I liked this chapter because of the way the author described it, how he made it so visual. I also liked it because it made me worried about things, but then they turned out right. I can connect to a part of this because when Annabeth was playing with Cerberus, I thought of my dog and I and how we play too. The other part I liked was when Percy goes to see his dad. I liked it because the author made it sound so fun and happy. It also made me get a good visual of the scene, which is my favorite thing about reading. I loved the way the author described how the gods and the scenery looked. He made it seem real, and I thought it was a great book.
ReplyDeleteThe part I will always remember was when Percy, Annabeth, and Grover went to the Garden Gnome Emporium, and saw Medusa. I was shocked that someone like that had so much power to turn someone into stone if the person looked her in the eye. I think Percy had a lot of courage in that part of the story not trying to look Medusa in the eye. Medusa creeps me out in some parts of Greek mythology. I learned from this story that if you have friends they can do a lot to save you as a person and in this place a God. Another part I will remember was when he took on Ares with a battle and won. He was very brave and courageous. He had the sea on his side so he had a huge advantage. Another part was when Percy went to the underworld to get Zeus's master bolt back that supposedly Hades stole. He was very brave to take on a quest like that because nobody had ever gone to the underworld and returned alive.
ReplyDeleteThe thing that I will always remember in Percy Jackson Book is how Percy never quit. No matter what the situation is he always cares about what his quest. I always remember this because in the future I might have a quest that if I don’t figure it out I might be in trouble or danger. The way that I think this part touched me is that I was proud and happy for Percy in the way he figured out things even though there was a dangerous beginning, middle, or end into it. I believe this gave me a lesson and reinforced me for my future.Conclusionaly what I learned from this is that you should finish your task and not depend on others.
ReplyDeleteI think when Percy faced Ares it shocked me because I wouldn’t believe Percy could beat a god. I think this will be a life lesson to me because it will teach me not to fight with my relatives so much, and learn to be nicer to them. This will be a life lesson for me for a long time because it has taught me to learn how I can get along with my relatives, family, and friends.
ReplyDeleteI will never forget the valuable life lessons this book taught me. Percy taught me to believe. I will always remember the part when Grover was about to be pulled into Tartarus. I was shocked, mad, and worried. Percy was so tired running after Grover with Annabeth. Percy finally realized that if he didn’t save Grover he was going to be pulled into the deepest pit on Earth. This has taught me an important life lesson to never give up even if things are looking down. I do not seem like fast runner, but if it’s for the sake of my friends’ lives then you will see me the first one by their side.
ReplyDeleteIf I remeber something from the lighting thief it would be The Lotus casino part where percey, Annabeth and grover the satyre went to go to the underworld in search for Zues' Master Bolt which They beleved that Hades took, But hades didn't take it. Anyway at the Lotus Casino The group thought they would stay there for a couple of hours but the ended up staying there 5 days. the casino speeds up time, There were a few people there from 1977-1998. Percey finaly fighured out that they spent too much time at the casino. He kept on his mission no matter what. ding (elevaer is done)
ReplyDeleteAt times in the story many things got my heart racing because it was so action packed and it had many things in there that I could relate to. To give an example Percy and I both have ADHD and I am good in my athletics and air soft wars because of it just like Percy. I also had a problem with knowing my family I do not know who my brother’s mom is or where she is. I also relate to him in many other ways like in school I am very distracted and cannot stay focused.
ReplyDeleteSomething that I will always remember that happened in the story is when Grover had his flying shoes on and were pulling him towards Tartarus. For a second in my mind I thought Grover was going to die. But lucky for him he took the shoes off and didn’t get pulled into Tartarus.
ReplyDeleteThe part I remember would be how he had to go to the underworld and how he had to do this impossible task and he does it despite the chances that he will fail. The thing that I liked about the book is that he is just a normal kid and then he finds out he has to save the world and he gets it done. Another good thing is they start the book of with a bang and did not spend the first 2 chapters telling us the characters life story or something over all this is a good book.
ReplyDeleteThe book has had a long term affect because it is powerful with excitement. It shows that anything is possible if you believe in it. Show that you shouldn’t lie to anybody or be lied to. The part where his mother died I was shocked disturbed and the reason I will remember it is because it was horrifying and cold another reason is that you found that Grover was a satyr. This part thought me not to take things for granted and to love every moment you spend with your family.
ReplyDeleteBy, Vernon
This is my first year studying Greek mythology, and I love it already!! All of this is amazing to me. My favorite character in the book is Annabeth Chase, even though she isn’t real. She is really trustworthy, responsible, and is able to keep everything on track when she needs to; I like that about her. My favorite scene in the book is the part where Annabeth and Percy are tricked by Ares into the trap of Tunnel of Love in the Waterland Water Park. That part made me laugh really hard! Except for the spider part. That kind of grossed me out. And I think it is cute how Percy tries to get Annabeth out before he does. That proved to me that Percy is very courageous and very sweet and I think that Percy and Annabeth would be a really cute couple. The danger in that story jumped in my head and had me daydreaming while I read it. That had me scared that they wouldn’t get out, and I was really terrified for them. After reading that, I think the god that I will remember most is Ares. And I know that I will ALWAYS have a place for Greek mythology in my head, and that way I won’t EVER forget it!
ReplyDeleteOverall I loved the book it was so addictive. I thought Percy was very brave when he challenged Ares. I thought he was pretty crazy for challenging the god of war to a battle. Yet Percy learned how to defeat him. While he was fighting Annabeth lent him her camp halfblood necklace and Grover lent him a can which he was saving to eat. Annabeth and Grover were very brave for not crying when they were about to lose their best friend. Another time Annabeth and Grover showed bravery was when they offered to stay in the underworld just for Percy to save his mother. That showed a lot of bravery in their part.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite part is when Poesidon claims Percy as his son. I thought it was touching that after so many years; he claimed that Percy was his son for everbody to see. I think Percy was just so glad to know who his father was, but then he was angry because he didnt claim him all those years. I feel happy for Percy.
ReplyDeleteThe part of the book that really touched me was when the Big three were going to fight.This touched in the way that it excited me because I always liked big wars. This is TIM
ReplyDeleteWhen I first looked at this book I felt that it was going to be very boring, but when I got into it I LOVED it. I will always remember when Percy’s mother died I was so devastated and I knew how it felt because my cat died and I was very sad like Percy. My lesson was to not always be to down on yourself when things turn out bad. My 30 min. elevator speech is “This book is very adventurous, in this book you will feel mixed emotions. It’s about a boy that has a very bad life and right when things were very wrong he ends up being a half-blood”.
ReplyDeleteThey most emotional part in the story for me is when Percy has to leave his mom in the underworld. This is so emotional for me because two days ago my mom’s friend died and she has a 2, and a 4 year old and they won’t remember who their mom is. It made me really sad and it reminded me of them. My mom was sad, and so was I.
ReplyDeleteBy Seamus Murphy
I really loved this book because it had suspense in basically every chapter. The part in the book that I will probably always remember will be when Percy finally met his father, Poseidon, and the look that he gave Percy. Percy said that it was like Poseidon was saying that he didn't know what to think of Percy and he has to prove himself to him. I hope Poseidon will be happy that Percy had been born and will approve of him.
ReplyDeleteThe part that I think I will remember the most is when Percy battled Ares. I was a little happy and mad. I was happy because I love the battles in the book and this one Is the one that I like in the book. I was mad because he was a little reckless. This also made me laugh because he beat Ares. My personal connection is that I love fencing and swordplay.
ReplyDeleteThe scene that I will always remember is when Clarisse was making fun of Percy and tried to put Percy’s face in the toilet, Percy blasted the pipes. The water was so strong that Clarisse and her friends flew out of the bathroom and in to the mud. That scene had me rolling on the floor laughing. It tells me you may not be what you seem.
ReplyDeleteThis book was kind of disturbing to me. Not in the way that I didn’t like it, but the story. When Percy thinks that Hades stole Zeus’s master bolt and finds out that he didn’t, he must have felt shocked. Then he thought that Ares stole Zeus’s master bolt. But then he finds out that Luke stole the master bolt. That part seemed disturbing to me because it seems annoying to think one person stole something, then think another person stole that thing, and then think another person stole that thing. Anyways, this book was one of the best books I’ve ever read. I think that I will keep on reading this series and enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteIn the lighting thief I was shocked by how the action started so fast. I was always nervous in the book. I really liked when the teacher Mrs. Dodd’s just about killed Percy in the museum. I was really scared about it and was hoping the best for Percy .
ReplyDeleteThere were a lot of reasons I enjoyed reading the lightning thief. The lightning thief was full of action and every minute of the book action was happening. The lightning thief was also full of humor and good times. But one of the reasons I most enjoyed the lightning thief was the literature. Percy was like a kid, he thought the exact same thoughts I would think. I’ve read a lot of books where the literature is coming from an adult (the author). Percy was one of the first characters I’ve read in a book who has the same thoughts as me, and because of that I couldn’t put the book down. Since Percy’s dad was Poseidon, he met him the very first time when he returned the bolt to Olympus. Since the book is coming from Percy’s stand point, you got a glance of his thoughts at that time. This made me think of me, if I were meeting my dad for the very first time, what would I be thinking? Also more importantly if my dad was Poseidon! I’d have to say out of any book I’ve ever read, Percy Jackson and the Olympians the Lightning Thief, is the best by far!
ReplyDelete-Gracie
I am going to remember Percy Jackson because he was brave enough to go to the underworld,To be able to get Zeus’s thunderbolt and help his mom was really wild. I think that was brave when Percy had to kill all of the monsters to me, that was really brave.
ReplyDeleteThe part of the story that I will always remember is when Mrs. Dodds turns from a mean Pre-Algebra teacher into a fury at the museum. The reason I will always remember it is because I always thought that one of my teachers in Lower School was secretly hiding being a monster, but then I found out she was just a teacher.
ReplyDeletethe thing that will remember is the capture the flag game. The reason why is because i am madly in love with capture the flag. its so much fun.
ReplyDeleteThe part of the story I remember most is when Percy Jackson and Ares go head and head. This has a really big impact because that Ares kept throwing insults at him and was bigger and a better swords man but Percy Jackson never surrendered. He just kept coming with confidence and kept fighting. People would have bet Ares would have won but Percy did. This reminds me of when my basketball team thought we would lose but we won.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThere is a lot of reason why I like the lighting thief. The lighting thief has lots of action every minute you read it. It feels like you are actually in it watching all what is happening. The lighting thief was full of humor and good times. In the lighting thief one of my reason I enjoyed reading was Percy and Poseidon having their father and son talk. When I read this part I felt touched and emotionally
ReplyDeletebecause Percy and Poseidon never met until now and only in person. This connects to me because when my grandmother died the last talk we ever had was a long time. Percy Jackson and the Olympians the lighting thief is the best book I ever read so far.
2/17/10 3:24 PM
I think that the part that I would remember would be the part with Echidna and Chimera. How when Echidna was pretending to be a fat lady and Chimera the deadly animal was pretending to be a cute little dog named sonny. It also really shocked me how they had turned into normal people when they were truly monsters. I will take away from this book never judge a book by its cover.
ReplyDelete