Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day One: Percy's Mom

Percy makes two noteworthy statements about his mom:

First: "She is the best person in the world, which just proves my theory that the best people get the rottenest luck."

And second: "...she did have a rebellious streak, like me."

What are your first impressions about Percy's mom? Do you like her or not? Why? Do you find her to be a strong character? Why or why not? Do you believe there is more to her than she reveals to Percy and us, as readers? Explain...

24 comments:

  1. I like Percy’s mother so far. I think there is something wrong with Gabe though. I don’t think his mother loves Gabe, and wants to be with him. I think his mother is hiding something from Percy and Gabe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she is a nice person. The reason is because she is hiding something I just do not know if it to protect Percy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Percy’s mom is a character who does what she is told and doesn’t question someone. I like her because she is kind to everyone and is very helpful. She isn’t a very strong person because her husband is mean to her and her son and she doesn’t do anything. I think that she didn’t tell us that all she knew about Percy’s dad. His dad could have been a mythological character and she didn’t tell Percy. -Allie B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Percy's mom is a very good person. I don’t really like her because she is always eating blue stuff. I think she is a strong character because she is Percy's mom. Yes, because she was Poseidon’s wife, because I think she is a bit suspicious, and I think she is hiding something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Percy’s mom is nice, kind, and loving. I think she is all of these because she is easy going. I still believe that she is hiding something from Gabe and Percy. She is a very strong character because she is Percy’s mom and Percy is one of the main characters. There is one thing that questions me about her: why does she always eat blue stuff? I think that Percy’s mom suffered through a lot of stuff in her life but I am very happy she didn’t give up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first impression of Percy’s mom is that she is nice but it looks like she is hiding something. I like her because she is nice to Percy. She isn’t that strong because she doesn’t stand up to Gabe. I think she is hiding something because she won’t tell Percy about his previous dad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first impressions of Percy`s mom are that she is nice, but she lets Gabe get away with too many things. I think she is sort of strong because she has to put up with Gabe, but she could do something about it. I wonder if she really loves him. I would like her as a mom because she is really nice and understanding. I think Percy`s mom isn’t telling him everything. I was confused about why Percy`s mom needed to know about the three old ladies and Mrs. Dodds. I am very interested in what will happen next. =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Percy's mom is nice, kind, and giving. Yes, because she is the kind of mom that forgives and looks at the positive, not the negative. No, because she really doesn’t do anything in the beginning of the book. Yes, because she can’t tell Percy everything or something, or someone, will get Percy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that Percy’s mother is a pretty strong character with a lot of hidden power it seems like she doesn’t know she has. I don’t think Gabe is a good guy. I almost want to think that he is a mythical predator to Percy. Percy’s mother obviously does not love Gabe and I think he is holding something over her that makes her so tolerant.
    Hanna Watson

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Percy’s mom is very kind but she is hiding something. I think she is not hiding something that is bad, I actually think she is hiding something good. I do not think Gabe deserves to be her husband, I do not even think she likes Gabe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first impressions on Percy’s mom are that she is easy going and she takes good care of Percy. Yes I like her because she is very nice. I don’t find her strong because she tries to forget her husband instead of remembering him. Yes, because she never tells anything about her husband.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My first impressions of Percy’s mom are she is nice and her favorite color is blue. She would barely hurt a fly. She doesn’t care about Percy’s grades, and she only cares about him. I like Percy’s mom she is really nice and she has a really good job. I like her because she would sound like a good friend and a nice mom. I find Percy’s mom to be a strong character because when she was in high school she tried to be a writer then when she was in college she had to quit because her uncle got cancer. I think that is a strong person because to give up her job just for her family that is nice and strong. I believe there is more to her that she doesn’t explain because she knew Percy’s dad was Poseidon and she didn’t tell Percy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that Percy’s mom is a very kind hearted person. Percy’s mom loves Percy, and Percy is pretty much his mom’s life. Her favorite color is blue and she is married to a man named Gabe who doesn’t even love her. To me Percy’s mom always seems distressed and she seems like she is hiding a huge secret to me. Percy’s mom would never hurt anyone. Percy’s stepfather Gabe is rude and cruel to Percy’s mom. He doesn’t even show the slightest respect for her and bosses her around. He also wastes all their money on poker, cigarettes, and beer. The thing I don’t get about Percy’s mom is why she puts up with Gabe every day. Overall I think that Percy’s mom is a very compassionate person, but she is hiding something from Percy. (Or in this case- the reader)
    - Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  14. My first impression about Percy’s mom was that she was a really kind and sweet person, and that she loved Percy more than anything. Something else I noticed was that she was nicer to Gabe than she should have been, and that she won’t tell Percy the reason why. There must be a reason why she’s being nice to Gabe, because it’s obvious that she doesn’t love him. She also listens to Gabe too much, and when Percy tells her that she shouldn’t be treated like this, she only says it’s okay, and that it doesn’t matter anyway. She seems to be hiding something really important from Percy that she shouldn’t be. Maybe there is something up with Gabe that makes her scared to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really liked Percy’s mom. She is a very nice lady. I like her because she is so easy-going and sweat to her son. I actually think she is a very strong character, she has a great personality and I think she will be an important character. It seems that she is hiding something because of how mad she got when Percy didn’t tell her about the lady’s with the giant sock, it just wasn’t like her to get that mad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My first impression about Percy’s mom is that she is a caring person that loves her son no matter how much of a failure he is. I like her, because she cares about Percy. I think there is way more to her because so far she isn’t in the book very much. I think that there is way more in her than she’s shows. I think some God or something, because when the Minotaur killed her she glowed gold.
    -Austin Freed 6th hour

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think Percy’s mom is a very kind and loving person. I like Percy’s mom. I like her because she is very kind and loving. I don’t think she is very strong because she always lets Smelly Gabe boss her around. I think there is a lot more than what Percy’s mom tells us because there has to be or it wouldn’t make it a book. A book has to have a conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that Percy’s mom is nice. So far I like her because she doesn’t ever judge anyone and she doesn’t ever get mad. I think that there is more about her than she shows to Percy. I think so because she seems like she wants to tell him but she can’t really. And, she sort of like seems like she’s involved with the gods and stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think Percy's mom is very kind, sweet hearted, and genorous. Percy loves his mom (vise versa) I have a feeling she is hiding something about Percy. She does what people tell her to do. She had some terrible things that happend in her life: her boyfriend left her when she was expecting Percy, she had to marry "Smelly" Gabe Ugliano who boses her around. I like Percy's mom because she cares and loves for Percy.
    Shreeya Dalla 7th hour

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would like Percy’s mom she is awesome, cool, funny, and fun to talk to. She is a great person but it is a shame that she is married to that loser Gabe who can’t get off his fat smelly butt and get his dip.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like Percy's mom. She is very kind, and really cares for Percy. It stinks for her though that she had to marry "Smelly" Gabe who spends all his money on cigarettes, beer, and gambling when he could be helping pay the rent on the appartment. I think she really has nerves not to get mad at Smelly Gabe(which is probably what im going to call him forever)when he allways orders her around and tells her to do this and that all other things he doesn't want to do. Jacob Newlin &th hour

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like his mom because she is a nice person. My impresions on Percy's mom are a very kind person, a thoughfull person. I feel sory for his mom because of the story that Percy told. I think his mom is a strong charactor because she is able to stand up to the bull man and die or I should say vaporate. I think there is somethings she isn't telling him and us, like when she evaporated.

    Matthew 7th hour

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like his mom because she is nice to Percy. She is a very kind person, and she sacrificed her life for Percy. Percy's mom is totally awesome and strong will for putting up with her new husband

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like his mom because she is nice to Percy. She is also very sweet to everyone, even Smelly Gabe. She is also a very strong character. She had to put up with Percy being expelled 6 times in a row.

    ReplyDelete