Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Rascal Flatts: Stand

42 comments:

  1. this video represented having the courage to do something important. It made me think of Brian because he completely changed by the end of the story.Brian became brave and resourceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Guys!
    Think about the lyrics to this song... focus on the images as well. You may have to watch it twice to catch everything before you comment. I am looking for depth of thought here, so really take some time to plan out your response. Personally, I think Brian would enjoy this video a lot. He would have many things to say about facing challenges...
    What do you have to say?
    THINK! CONNECT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lyrics in this song really remind me of Brian’s story because there were a lot of times where Brian felt like just giving up and sometimes he felt like he just wanted to end it all, But what this song says is that even if you are down and you don’t think you can make it you need to keep on trying and have all those tributes that the pictures were expressing. In the end you need to just get up and get on with life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Brian could relate to this song because at the end when there showing courage, passion, determination, and the other ones, thats what Brian showed when he was out in the woods all alone. When Brian ran into problems like running into the bear he showed courage by not running away or when he showed determination to get fire and not just giving up. Then when he showed passion for not just giving up on trying to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is related to Brian’s problem because the lyrics are talking about never give up even when you get frustrated or sad or mad just keep on going. In the book Brian goes through a lot of problems like when he can’t find food and he is hungry when he is just sad because he is alone. This reminds me when I was having a problem with sports and I was just going through a bad spot I was missing shots and blocks so I was mad at myself and stopped trying hard. My dad just told me to just keep on going as hard as I can even if you are having some troubles. Just try your hardest. Thats what i did and i got out of the bad spot and i did fine again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This song is all about not giving up, and standing back up when you think you just can't take any more. I think Brian can relate to this video in many ways. In the book, Brian said several times that he couldn't figure out a solution to his problem, had a hissy fit, and then found that it didn't do anything for him and just kept trying. I think that it what this video is trying to explain to its witnesses. There have been many times when I felt like giving up something, like a dream or even homework! But getting bad grades doesn't do anything good for you at all! So, I kept struggling at the paper until I finally came up with a solution, and felt much better than I would have if I had decided to just give up. But, I, also, have chosen the bad decision before and decided to give up, and I soon had to face the consequences. Soon after I discovered I had indeed chosen the wrong decision and learned from my mistakes. It makes me a stronger person!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brian would really connect with this song and the lyrics. Brian would have a pity party but he would get to thinking and he would “wipe his hands and shake it off.” Brian would “get mad but got strong, “be alone and helpless like he’s lost his fight but he was alright.” Brian was out there by himself but he pulled through and was okay. He had his hatchet and used it until the end, “he took was he was given before it was gone and he held on.” A few times he really thought he couldn’t survive on his own “because it was all he could take.” Brian would like the video and the lyrics because it did go with what he went through and “he did get mad but he shook it off and Brian did stand” and got saved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thoght it was a good music video about what ever life throughs at you shake it off and keep going like with the football player and the boxer they were sad and mad but they shook it off and kept trying. Like when they say when push comes to shove and you taste what your made of really made me think of how brian never gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Brian would enjoy this video because it talks about standing up. If you are hurt and need hope it stand just jump right back to what you where doing

    ReplyDelete
  10. In this song it talks about determination, courage, grace, passion, and desire. Brian has felt desire,for example he had a desire to get the survival pack. He had determination to still go on even though the tornado wrecked everything he had. He had courage when he had to go in the airplane under water when he could have easily gotten stuck in there and drowned. I think this song tells you to keep on going even though things are bad just like Brian had to do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mrs. Cusick,

    This song really spoke to me. It’s clear that Rascal Flats wanted to tell us not to give up. In Brian’s case he would have to stand up brush himself off and start working, because crying wasn’t going to get him anywhere. When he got up he made it work for him. Brian had good food, a shelter, and he changed himself. If he didn’t he probably would not be here.
    There have been many times where I had to stand. Like about 3rd grade I promised myself I would finish high school and then quit because math was so hard. I was so scared of failing, but I faced the challenge. Now I want to go to KU get a degree in architecture, and minor in journalism then go to law school at Georgetown. If I didn’t stand and decided to quit at high school I wouldn’t be able to do anything with my life.

    Always stand Mrs. C
    Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really think that Brian did what this song said. It really said to me when life gets hard you can't just sit there you have to do stuff for yourself and try hard. Brian really did. This video showed basically what Brian did.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Brian would like this song because he won't feel like he is the only one that has been in this mess.
    This connects to Brian's sugguestion because at firs he is a mess (lost) then he gets better and never gives up. So you then have a passion for it.
    It connects to me because when I started dance I was about to give up and then I just kept on practicing and then I started to have a passion for it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i think the song truly says what brian was a helpless then he got mad and focused and gave his all to survive in the wild. it sayes he was like a candle in a hurrincane it is true, weak and helpless brian became strong indepented brian

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this video relates to what Brian has been through because it really tells like how he had to survive and this song really tells like how hard it is to do something and then come back from it Bigger and Better. Like what Brian did like when the plane crash happend he fell but then he was able to rise back up because he was determined to get out alive and survive the wilderness.

    ReplyDelete
  16. At the beginning of the book after the plane crash Brian was sitting down and feeling sorry for himself every time he encountered a problem. This is just like in the song were the people had encountered a problem and they weren't doing anything about it they were just sitting down and feeling sorry for themselves. As the book goes on Brian realizes that feeling sorry for himself won't help him at all. Like in the song were the people realize that sitting there is not going to help them so they stand and face the problem. This happens to me sometimes I have a problem but I don't face it like I should I just sit down and feel sorry for myself. After a while I realize that I should face the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  17. At the beginning of the book after the plane crash Brian was sitting down and feeling sorry for himself every time he encountered a problem. This is just like in the song were the people had encountered a problem and they weren't doing anything about it they were just sitting down and feeling sorry for themselves. As the book goes on Brian realizes that feeling sorry for himself won't help him at all. Like in the song were the people realize that sitting there is not going to help them so they stand and face the problem. This happens to me sometimes I have a problem but I don't face it like I should I just sit down and feel sorry for myself. After a while I realize that I should face the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this relates to brian in that he was all down and thought he would survive and pouted. But then Brian thought that this is going to help me and he got inspired and started to make necessary things to survive. And eventually by doing this saved himself. And it's kind of like me but I never have been in that position. But sometimes when I get in trouble or hurt I feel sorry for my self but then I think this isn't doing anything so I will just have to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think this showed how Brian would just be all negative and then all of a sudden he would decide to do something. For example when in the song they it said like a picture in a broken frame he was the picture and his life was the broken frame, because his life was all messed up and he was the center of it.
    ~Leen

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought the song was very good. It really connected to Brian, because you need to persevere and be passionate "stand" and be positive.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like this song it’s great and I also like Rascal Flatts. I think Brian would like this song and could closely relate to this song after the experience in the wilderness. This tells me to never give up no matter how slim the chances are. Brian never gave up even when he got hit by a tornado and the moose.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brian was about to give up since he was out in the wilderness alone and scared after the plane crash, but he doesn't. He stays strong and never gives up. It makes him a better person. Look where he is know he made it through and an airplane saved him. The song talks about getting ready to give up and how you need to stand strong. But not give up. Just like Brian didn't give up and stood strong. He probably wouldn't be where he is know if he gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. When Brian could not take this any more with him being alone with no hope, with the mosquitoes, the weather, the berries, the porcupine, the moose, the secret, and all the pain. From me it was just like when I used to struggle on my spelling I felt so hopeless I tried and tried and I tried to get better like in the song I felt like a “candle in a hurricane” or like a “picture with a broken frame” I felt alone and hopeless but then I figured out I just have to keep going and then I got the hang of it I was just a half of me was like you are hopeless you will never get it right and that was why I could no get the hang of I so I pushed out of the way and that was it. I felt so hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I thought Brian related to this because the songs maine word was "stand" and that's exactly what Brian does. Brian kept going even when the worst happens. And in the video he says you'll be alright and Brian is alright because he did'nt give up.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think this whole song really represents Brian. When it says ", you’ll taste what you're made of", it has a lot to do with Brian. He finds himself in this story, someone that he never knew of, like towards the end of the story, Brian says he's going to be different for example he was going to be more careful than normal. It also says ", on your knees you look up just like you've had enough", Brian thought this the whole time. He looked up to find a plane and tried to keep his spirits up, but it wasn't until he had pretty much given up that the plane comes. It also says ", you get mad, you get strong", obviously Brian was very mad and frustrated since he's in the middle of nowhere, at the beginning no food, no phone, no transmitter or anything, which would make me very frustrated. I think that this story makes him strong, that's how the ", you get strong", comes in. He has to find food; he has to make his shelter pretty much, and gets attacked by a moose, a porcupine, and gets sprayed by a skunk." Every time you get up and get back in the race one more small piece of you starts to fall into place," this really represents Brian and I think he would have a big comment on this because, it says every time you get up and get back in the race, every time Brian get's up and goes to search, he finds something new, and feels better and getting back in the race means that he adds on and is back on track. ", One more small piece starts to fall into place", the more things he finds the more he realizes, one of himself, and two, that he might be able to survive. I think that Brian would have a lot to say about this.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This video makes me think about Brian and the Secret and how he had to overcome his challenges to become someone who can handle hard problems. It makes me feel stronger when I watch this video like I shouldn't give up on something I think about every minuet and that you don't want to give up on and if it is important to you then you should not give up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think this video relates to Brian because when you think that everything is gone you have to keep going. Life has it's ups and downs but no matter what happens you have to stand up for yourself and keep going. If Brian just gave up he would starve and probably die. He kept going and he was saved and thats how I think it relates to Brian.

    Gracie Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  28. This song was related to Brian and what he been through. The song meant that you should not give up, try your best, and don't feel hopeless about your self. When Brian was stuck in the woods he didn't give up on himself and kept trying to find a way to survive in the wilderness.He did not just sit there and cry all day that he is stuck in the woods, no he did somrthing about it. Instead of crying he survived and lived because he did not give up hpoe.So that is how this song was related to Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mrs C,
    I love this song!! it shows allot about how Brian has to live threw being alone and helpless. But he never gives up and he stands up for himself. He feels like he's had enough and he tries to stand up for himself. I really like the pictures in this video. It shows that the people never give up, they keep on trying, and they don't fail on themselves. I like at the end how it says stand up for yourself to never give up, believe. It really relates with Brian how he has to face all these challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mrs Cusick

    I think than Brian would relate to the song because at the end it says passion and Brian had to show a lot of passion to stay alive. Another word that would relate to Brian would be determination because he was determined to get that survival kit from the plane. Another word that would relate to Brian would be courage because Brian had to have courage to go find food to eat. Another word that relates to Brian would be grace because he had to make the fire and bow and arrows with grace or else the bow would break and the fire would die out. Another word that would describe Brian would be desire because Brian had a desire to get out of the woods. Another word that would describe Brian is expression because he felt that he was strong and could rely on himself.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Brian relates to the video because he went through so many hard times and never gave up. When he was in the plane crash, he could have said I’m not going to survive. Instead he made a shelter and found food. When the tornado came and tore down his shelter, he got right up and rebuilt it and found more food. In my life I have had lots of times where I felt like giving up. I had my family to help me through it. Brian is alone and has nobody to help him. I think Brian would say that the video explains what had happened to him. He would say that he went through so many more struggles than he would have imagined. Brian was determined to survive and see his family again. I admire Brian for that. It made me happy to know that he survived because he deserved to survive.
    -Allie Brown

    ReplyDelete
  32. When Brian knew that the pilot died of a heart attack, he knew he would have to survive alone. The point is he didn’t give up. He didn’t sit down and watch the plane fall. When after the tornado hit his shelter, he didn’t just think that all hope is gone. Instead, he rebuilt his shelter. When I used to play basketball, my team used to get behind and we would be losing by a couple points. Our opponents were getting more points by the second. I knew I was good at defense so I started stealing and knocking the ball out of their hands. Because of that my team lost only 3 games.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The first time I heard it (to be honest), I did not like it. Then after listening to it 4 or 5 times. I actually started to get it. I also think that Brian would love this song, because this song is pretty much what happens in his life. It pretty much IS his life. At first he's all alone and I know how that feels. But then the song gets brighter and you can tell that he's just not weeping anymore. He's acutally TRYING to survive. Instead of feeling all this self pity. This song kind of suits me. Yes I am alone a lot, because I don't like to play with annoying sisters. But just thinking about it, I never really had it hard like Brian. I never really felt bad for myself. If Brian was real I'd be proud of him to give up the sad face and just stand.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think this song has a really deep message to it. I think it is trying to tell you that when you get mad or do something wrong you should learn from your mistakes so you can become a better person. That is just what Brian did, when the plane passed and it didn’t pick him up. He became really mad and frustrated and even thought about killing himself. He got himself together though and learned from his mistakes. He made himself a new person. I think Brian would like and connect Stand for that very reason. For me, I think Stand is also trying to say that should live your life for today. You never know what is going to happen.

    Katie Herthel

    ReplyDelete
  35. when he said when push comes to shouv brian got pushed and when he said you half to get back up brian got bake up

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dear Mrs. Cusick,
    I think that this video has A LOT to do with Brian, because it is practically like Brian’s story. It is saying that you were fine at first, then what you did wrong comes back at you, leading to Brain’s plane crash.Then it says that what is coming back at you is more than you can take,which is the part where brian feels all broken and can't take what is happening. But, even though he is really tired and can't do much,he still has hope,hope that they will rescue him in the end, and all his determination,courage,grace, and mostly desire of being recued, save him in the end.I think that it really is like brian's story, and I also have had a experience of difficulty similar to Brian. Once I was lost at DisneyLand in the morning, and I wasn't found and didn't eat until 9:50 at night. I couldn't do anything and I felt really hurt, and couldn't do anything until I found a employee who would actually call the hotel and ask for my mom's number,and told her where I was. My mom was so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  37. the song says that when you are helpless and your life is turning upside down you need to shake it off and move on. i think brian could relate to this because he is in this horrible situation and he just gets back up and makes a shelter, he makes fire, and learns to find food. the song also says when things are really bad you start to find yourself. i think brian could relate to this because in the story he changes a lot personality wise and he finds who he really is inside. overall, i love this video and song!!!

    emma schmaltz :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  38. Brian felt kind of down in the beginning of the book when hi was think about his parents divorce. It seems he does feel like a picture with a broken frame, but when he knew he had to do something, don’t give up and change. Brian did stand up and do something so he can live. I was like that one time and I was down most the time. I would cry at night, but I knew do something and let it go and change. I never heard this song before, but I really like this song. I think Brian would like this. Brian would also relate to this song also. I feel a relation to this song also. =P

    ReplyDelete
  39. I think Brian can relate to the song because in the song when the lyrics say when push come to shove Brian just thinks "silly mistakes." Brian forgets about the mistakes and just moves on. Also in the song when the lyrics say "you feel like a candle in a storm" I think Brian can also relate to these lyrics because when the tornado hit the shelter everything was gone, but Brian just used the Hatchet and made the shelter again.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hello Mrs. Cusick!
    This music video resembled what happened to Brian in Hatchet in many ways. The first verse of the song “You feel like a candle in a hurricane” resembles what happened to Brian when a tornado hit his shelter in the woods. Brian lost all his tools so he felt blown away. “Alone and helpless, and you’ve lost your fight. You’ll be alright. You’ll be alright.” Means that Brian is alone in the Canadian woods with no help from anyone. But he’s alright throughout the story and survives. The verse “ On your knees, you look up. Decided that you’ve had enough. You get mad, you get strong. Wipe your hands, shake it off. Then you stand.” Resembles that Brian is crying on his knees. Then he decides that crying won’t help him survive. He also gets mad about his parents’ divorce. He gets strong in survival as he goes on. So he stands and survives. Brian is also determined to survive. Brian also has the courage to do what he wants to do.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I really enjoyed this video. I think it is inspiring. It makes me feel like I can overcome any obstacle. This video shows that a pity party will get you nowhere in life. Passion, determination, courage, grace, desire, and expression don't always come easily in life. You have to use these qualities to take what you are given and fight to make it the best life possible. I think Brian could identify with this video because he overcame a lot of obstacles and put real effort into aspiring to do the best he could to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think Brian can relate to this song because he got mad he got strong but he was able to wipe it off and stand. Brian went through a lot and went through hard times. I think Brian was strong and brave! I love this song and could listen to it all day.

    ReplyDelete